Sorry Jean, I haven’t been posting much lately. I’ve been too busy enjoying everything summer has to offer. For the long weekend Boyfriend and I went camping at Elk Island National Park.
While the campsite was nothing spectacular, the surroundings were beautiful. I know most people eat several meals of hot dogs when they go camping, but I find I often eat better at camp. For dinner on Friday night we had grilled chicken, grilled asparagus, and a salad of greens from our garden. For Saturday breakfast we had ham and eggs. For lunch we had homemade chicken soup and for dinner we had red Thai curry with shrimp.
Here’s my camp recipe for red Thai curry:
- In a large pot, put 2 tbsp of oil – heat on medium temperature
- Add one large red onion sliced (or diced); cook until tender
- Add a 2 tbsp of red Thai curry paste; cook for 1 minute or so
- Add one red pepper sliced (or diced); cook until tender (I slice and freeze the peppers before going camping – that way they act as an ice pack in the cooler and cook really fast)
- Add 10 new potatoes, cut up
- Add one cup of water; boil until potatoes are cooked
- Add shrimp (I also bring the shrimp frozen and by the second night they are almost thawed), half a can of coconut milk, 1 tbsp fish sauce, juice of one lime and a few tbsp of basil; cook until the shrimp are cooked through – usually about 3 minutes.
- Serve on coconut rice (use the other half can of coconut milk as a substitute for some of the water)
Serves 3-4 people
The next morning for breakfast we had oatmeal with chopped apples and nuts.
Aside from the food, we went on a three hour nature hike, sat around the campfire, and enjoyed being away from the city.
The only downside of the trip was that we got attacked by a peasant, we set up in the wrong campsite and had to move, and there was a liquor ban on for the weekend.
I won’t be posting for the next 10 days as I am off to the national Guide camp. I assure you, Guider Crabby will have an epic post when she returns.
Posted by King Crabby